BUILDING A PERSONAL BRAND FOR GLOBAL INFLUENCE
From Personal Brand to Business: How to Turn Influence Into Economic Opportunity
#NigeriaWealthShift | How to Build, Validate, Structure, Fund and Scale a Personal Brand Business
The Nigerian youth is not truly lazy.
I know that statement may sound controversial, but hear me out.
Many young Nigerians are energetic, creative, intelligent and extremely resourceful. The problem is that energy without economic intelligence can keep you busy without making you wealthy.
You can have followers and still have no business.
You can be popular and still be broke.
You can have influence and still be unable to attract serious investors, strategic partners or institutional opportunities.
This is why we need to start talking about economic intelligence.
Economic intelligence is the ability to recognise opportunities, understand markets, identify problems worth solving, build valuable solutions, create sustainable business models, position yourself for capital and turn influence into economic value.
And this brings me to something I recently watched.
I listened to VeryDarkMan (VDM) present his views on the issue of the Unknown G@nmen at the just-concluded Nigerian Bar Association Conference.
Whether you agree with everything he said or not, I think there is something important young Nigerians should learn from his journey.
I must salute his courage.
Here is a young man who many people may simply classify as a social media personality or influencer.
But look closely.
The question is:
What happens when you learn how to convert that influence into a structured, sustainable and scalable business?
That is one of the conversations I want to have with you in this #NigeriaWealthShift series.
VDM, What Would You Do Differently?
Let me speak to VDM directly for a moment from the question that a woman asked VDM during the conference.
If I were advising you strictly from the perspective of business opportunity, business model and capital strategy, I would not simply tell you to continue creating content.
Your brand has already moved beyond that stage.
I would tell you:
Identify the opportunity gap created by your influence and build a business around it.
For example, your recent conversation around insecurity, criminality, conflict and the Unknown Gunmen reveals an opportunity that could potentially be much bigger than social media commentary.
You could position yourself over time as a serious voice in:
But here is the important part:
You cannot build a serious business around influence alone.
You need competence + credibility + intellectual property + market validation + business structure + partnerships.
So, if I were advising VDM, this is what I would consider.
1. Build Your Knowledge Bank
If you want to play in a serious sector, become knowledgeable about the sector.
Consider formal education in areas such as criminology, security studies, conflict resolution, international relations, peace studies, public policy or related disciplines.
The National Open University of Nigeria, for example, could be one pathway for formal academic development.
But education should not stop at obtaining a degree.
Build a knowledge ecosystem.
Take relevant professional certifications.
Attend international conferences.
Study global security and conflict-resolution models.
Read research papers.
Engage practitioners.
Collaborate with academics.
Learn from NGOs, foundations, government institutions and international development organisations.
Your objective should be simple:
Move from being known for having opinions to being respected for having expertise.
That is a major brand transformation.
2. Validate the Market Before Building the Business
This is where many personal brands make mistakes.
They see attention and assume they have a market.
Attention is not the same as demand.
Before building a security or conflict-resolution company, you need to ask:
Who has this problem?
How painful is the problem?
Who is willing to pay for a solution?
What exactly are they willing to pay for?
What alternatives already exist?
What makes your solution different?
This is problem validation and market validation.
If NGOs need community engagement.
If companies need security awareness training.
If schools need violence-prevention programmes.
If communities need conflict-resolution initiatives.
If organisations need stakeholder engagement.
If government agencies need citizen communication strategies.
Bro, you have discovered potential markets. But don't assume; test the market first.
How?
Interview potential customers, run pilot programmes, offer workshops, measure results, collect testimonials, and study the demand.
That is how you move from influence to evidence.
3. Build a Real Business Model
A personal brand is not automatically a business.
You need to answer the fundamental business-model questions:
What are you selling?
Who are you selling to?
What problem are you solving?
How will you deliver the solution?
How will you make money?
What will make customers continue paying?
For example, the brand could potentially develop into a broader Conflict Resolution, Security Awareness, and Social Impact Consultancy.
Revenue could potentially come from:
Now you are no longer simply asking, "How do I make money from my followers?"
BUT:
"How do I build an institution around the problems my influence has exposed?"
That is a completely different mindset.
4. Build Traction
Investors do not invest simply because you are popular. They want evidence.
They want to know:
This is where traction becomes important.
I will advise you start small, run a pilot, serve at least 20 organisations, train 500 young people, work with three communities, partner with two NGOs, publish research, document outcomes, build case studies, generate revenue, and measure impact.
Then repeat the process again and again.
Small evidence can become big credibility.
5. Build Fundability
This is where I would take the conversation even further.
If the business eventually requires serious capital, popularity will not automatically make it fundable.
Fundability is about how investable the business is.
You need the right:
You must be able to show investors and partners:
Here is the problem.
Here is our solution.
Here is the market.
Here is our business model.
Here is the traction.
Here is the evidence.
Here is how additional capital will help us scale.
That is what transforms a personality into a potentially investable enterprise.
6. Build Something That Can Outlive You
This is perhaps the most important lesson.
If everything depends on VDM's face, voice and daily presence on social media, then there is a limit to how far the business can scale.
But imagine building:
VDM Media, VDM Academy, VDM Research Institute, Conflict Resolution & Security Consultancy, Community Impact Foundation (apart from Ratel), African Conflict & Security Intelligence Platform, where you could be organizing conferences, summits, and expos.
I am not saying this is exactly what you should build.
I am illustrating what happens when you start thinking beyond content creation and start thinking about institution building.
The goal is not simply to become more famous. You are famous already.
The goal is to use your influence to build systems, assets, intellectual property, institutions, and businesses that can create value beyond your personal presence.
My message to VDM is actually a message to millions of young Nigerians.
But there is a process.
From Problem to Validation to Solution to Business Model to Traction to Structure to Fundability to Capital to Scale.
Don't jump from "I have followers" to "I need investors."
There are steps in between.
And this is one of the biggest economic mistakes I see among entrepreneurs today.
They think they have a capital problem when what they actually have is a business model problem, validation problem, traction problem, or fundability problem.
Capital should accelerate a working business. It should not be used to discover whether the business can work.
That is economic intelligence.
And that is the kind of mindset I want us to build through this #NigeriaWealthShift series.
Because the future of Nigeria will not only be built by people who have money.
It will be built by people who can recognise problems, identify opportunities, build valuable solutions, structure sustainable businesses, attract capital, and scale impact.
So, the next time you see a young Nigerian with a large following, don't only ask:
"How many followers does s/he have?"
Ask:
"What economic opportunity is hidden inside that influence?"
Because sometimes, what looks like just popularity is actually an unstructured economic asset waiting to be converted into a business.
And economic intelligence is knowing how to connect all four.
Thank you for reading this far!
Verydarkblackman
See less
Comments
Post a Comment