Nigerian Woman Turns Plantain Waste Into Wigs, Bags, Shoes, Pillows & More - Agriculture
Most Nigerians see plantain stems as waste. This woman sees raw material.
I recently visited a Nigerian entrepreneur who has built an unusual business around something most farmers and households simply throw away — plantain and banana stems.
From these agricultural leftovers, she produces hair extensions, bags, pillows, shoes, ropes, table mats, ribbons and several other products.
What caught my attention wasn’t just the products.
It was the idea behind the business.
At a time when many people are looking for agricultural opportunities, this is a powerful reminder that agriculture doesn’t end with planting, harvesting and selling food.
There is money in the waste, processing, manufacturing, packaging, distribution and everything that happens after the farm.
I went to meet her, see the products myself and understand how she turned an agricultural waste problem into a business.
Would you buy a wig or bag made from plantain fibre?
And more importantly: how many other valuable businesses are Nigerians throwing away every day without realizing it?
I documented the full story here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKv0vcV5o-g
Comments
Post a Comment